A chocolate chip cookie is a classic American cookie that is typically made with butter, sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla extract, and chocolate chips. The dough is mixed together, shaped into balls or dropped by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet, and then baked until golden brown. The chocolate chips are a key ingredient that add a sweet and chocolaty flavor to the cookie. Some variations of the classic recipe include adding nuts, oats, or other types of chips, such as white chocolate or butterscotch. Chocolate chip cookies are a popular treat for all ages and are often enjoyed as a snack or dessert.
How to make chocolate chip cookies?
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Using a spoon or cookie scoop, drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are lightly golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining cookie dough, making sure to let the baking sheet cool completely before placing another batch of cookies on it.
- Serve and enjoy your homemade chocolate chip cookies!
Note: For chewier cookies, reduce the baking time by a minute or two. For crisper cookies, increase the baking time by a minute or two. You can also experiment with adding nuts, oatmeal, or different types of chips to your cookie dough to create your own unique flavor.