Quiche is a savory baked dish that originated in French cuisine. It consists of a pastry crust filled with a mixture of eggs, milk or cream, cheese, and various other ingredients such as vegetables, meats, or seafood. The filling is often seasoned with herbs, spices, and sometimes a touch of nutmeg. Quiche is typically baked until the filling is set and the top is golden brown. It is commonly served as a breakfast or brunch dish, but it can also be enjoyed as a light lunch or dinner option. Quiche is versatile and can be made with a wide variety of ingredients, making it a popular choice for both home cooks and professional chefs.
- 1 pre-made pie crust (or you can make your own)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of milk or cream
- 1 cup of grated cheese (such as Swiss, cheddar, or Gruyere)
- 1 cup of chopped vegetables (such as spinach, mushrooms, onions, or bell peppers)
- 1/2 cup of cooked and chopped bacon, ham, or cooked vegetables (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- If you're using a pre-made pie crust, place it in a pie dish and crimp the edges. If you're making your own crust, roll out the dough and place it in a pie dish, then crimp the edges.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk or cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Whisk everything together until well combined.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the bottom of the pie crust.
- Add your choice of chopped vegetables and cooked meat or additional vegetables (if using) to the pie crust, spreading them out evenly.
- Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the pie crust, making sure it's evenly distributed.
- Place the quiche in the preheated oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until the center is set and the top is golden brown. You can test the doneness by inserting a toothpick or knife into the center of the quiche - if it comes out clean, it's done.
- Once the quiche is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Quiche can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature and makes a great meal for breakfast, brunch, or dinner. Feel free to customize the recipe by adding your favorite ingredients or seasonings. Enjoy!