Pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are not only a crunchy and satisfying snack but also a powerhouse of nutrition. Packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, pumpkin seeds make a fantastic addition to any diet. In this article, we'll explore a variety of healthy and tasty pumpkin seed recipes that cater to every palate, offering a delightful culinary journey that combines flavor and nutrition.
1. Savory Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin seeds (seeds from one medium-sized pumpkin)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Clean the pumpkin seeds, removing any pumpkin pulp.
- In a bowl, toss the pumpkin seeds with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and salt.
- Spread the seasoned seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally until the seeds are golden brown and crispy.
2. Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Seed Trail Mix
- Roasted pumpkin seeds (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Pinch of sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine roasted pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, raw almonds, and dark chocolate chips.
- Drizzle honey or maple syrup over the mixture and toss until everything is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle ground cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and a pinch of sea salt over the mix. Toss again to combine.
- Allow the trail mix to cool before storing in an airtight container.
3. Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- In a food processor, combine roasted pumpkin seeds, fresh basil, garlic, and Parmesan cheese.
- Pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped.
- With the processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the pesto reaches your desired consistency.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to taste.
- Use the pumpkin seed pesto as a flavorful sauce for pasta, a spread for sandwiches, or a dip for veggies.
These recipes showcase the versatility of pumpkin seeds, offering both savory and sweet options to suit different preferences. Enjoy experimenting with these nutritious and delicious pumpkin seed creations!