Coronation Chicken is a classic British dish that was created to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. It is a cold chicken dish that's typically made with cooked chicken, a creamy curry-flavored dressing, and various mix-ins such as raisins, almonds, and mango chutney. The dish is often served as a salad, sandwich filling, or as a part of a buffet spread. The combination of spices, creaminess, and sweetness from the ingredients makes Coronation Chicken a delicious and unique dish that's loved by many people.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to make the best Coronation Chicken:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through. Alternatively, you can grill or roast the chicken breasts until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and let it cool. Once cooled, use a knife to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the curry powder, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and mango chutney until well combined.
- Add the shredded chicken, raisins, and sliced almonds to the dressing, and mix well until the chicken is fully coated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and mix again.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Once ready to serve, transfer the Coronation Chicken to a platter and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Enjoy your delicious and flavorful Coronation Chicken with your friends and family!
By following these steps, you'll be able to make the best Coronation Chicken that's perfect for any occasion.