Strawberry jelly roll
How to cook Strawberry jelly roll:
For the jelly:
- 60 ml (¼ cup) water;
- 9 g (1 packet) gelatin powder;
- 165 ml (⅔ cup+1 tbsp) warm strawberry tea;
- 60 g (½ cup) sugar;
- fresh strawberries thinly sliced.
For the cake:
- 70 g (4 medium) egg yolks;
- 15 g (1 tbsp) sugar;
- 85 g (4 medium) egg whites;
- 43 g (3 ⅔ tbsp) sugar;
- 40 g (⅓ cup) all-purpose flour;
- 11 g (1 tbsp) butter, melted.
For the cream:
- 80 g (⅔ cup) mascarpone, room temp.;
- 10 g (½ tbsp) sugar;
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) condensed milk;
- 250 ml (1 cup) full-fat cream.
- Use a square metal pan (22x22 cm) and cover the bottom of it with plastic. Place it on the cutting board and layer strawberry slices on the bottom to cover completely.
- Bloom gelatin in 60 ml of water, then dissolves in warm strawberry tea. Pour the gelatin mixture on top of the fruits and leave to set completely.
- For the cake: beat egg white with 43 grams of sugar until stiff, and beat egg yolks with 15 g of sugar until pale and creamy. Fold ⅓ of the egg whites into the yolks, add flour and butter, and whisk to combine. Fold another ⅔ of egg whites to make a smooth and fluffy batter.
- Pour the batter into a 22x22 cm square pan and bake in a conventional oven at 160°C320°F for 15 minutes, then at 170°C/338°F for another 15 minutes, let cool down.
- For the cream, beat cream with sugar, mascarpone, and full-fat cream. Spread the cream on top of the cake, layer whole strawberries on one side, and roll up carefully. Let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Brush the roll with some water and carefully roll in the jelly layer. Set aside for 30 minutes more than serving.