How to cook Caramelized onions:
- 1kg (2 pounds) red onions;
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil;
- 60ml (¼ cup) balsamic vinegar;
- 50g (3 tbsp) brown sugar;
- Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Cut each onion in half lengthwise and peel off the first outer layer.
2. Slice onions into half-rings and transfer into a bowl.
3. In a pot with a thick bottom, heat up olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and lower the heat as much as possible.
4. Cook onions, covered, for around 20 minutes, making sure to stir them often to prevent burning.
5. Season onions with salt, sugar, and pepper. Stir, cover, and cook for 20 minutes more.
6. Pour balsamic vinegar into a pot of onions and cook down for 20 minutes, stirring often.
7. When all of the liquid has evaporated and the onions become soft and jammy - they are done.
8. Toast some baguette slices and serve them with caramelized onions.