Chai Babka is a delightful twist on the classic babka, infused with the warm and aromatic flavors of chai tea.
Subscribe to our Telegram channel @nifty_recipe. Here you will find all the latest photo and video recipes!
*Recipe on video and text may differ from each other!
How to cook Chai Babka:
Chai Babka is a delightful twist on the classic babka, infused with the warm and aromatic flavors of chai tea. Here's a recipe to make Chai Babka:
For the Dough:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Chai Filling:
- 2 chai tea bags
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, steep the chai tea bags in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags and let the chai concentrate cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, and yeast. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the warmed milk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chai filling. In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and cloves. Mix well.
- Punch down the risen dough and roll it out into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
- Spread the chai filling evenly over the dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Starting from one long end, tightly roll the dough into a log. Pinch the edges to seal.
- Carefully transfer the rolled log to a greased loaf pan, tucking the ends underneath. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the streusel topping - flour, brown sugar, softened butter, and cinnamon. Mix until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the risen babka.
- Bake the Chai Babka in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. If the top starts browning too quickly, you can loosely cover it with aluminum foil.
- Remove the babka from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth and drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled Chai Babka.
Slice and serve the Chai Babka as a delightful treat with a cup of tea or coffee. The aromatic chai flavors and the swirls of spiced filling make it a perfect indulgence for any time of the day. Enjoy!