Pretzel buns are a delicious and slightly chewy bread roll that is reminiscent of soft pretzels. They are great for sandwiches, burgers, or as a standalone bread roll.
Subscribe to our Telegram channel @nifty_recipe. Here you will find all the latest photo and video recipes!
*Recipe on video and text may differ from each other!
How to cook Pretzel Buns:
Pretzel buns are a delicious and slightly chewy bread roll that is reminiscent of soft pretzels. They are great for sandwiches, burgers, or as a standalone bread roll. Here's a general recipe to guide you in making pretzel buns:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- Coarse salt for topping
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with a splash of water, optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, and instant yeast.
- Gradually add the warm water while stirring until a dough starts to form.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour, but be careful not to add too much, as it can make the buns dense.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Punch down the risen dough to release the air. Divide it into equal-sized portions, shaping each portion into a round bun.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil, and then add the baking soda. Carefully drop a few buns into the boiling water and let them cook for about 30 seconds per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the boiled buns onto the prepared baking sheet.
- If desired, brush the tops of the buns with an egg wash for a shiny finish.
- Sprinkle coarse salt on top of each bun for the classic pretzel flavor and appearance.
- Bake the buns in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Remove the buns from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack before using them for sandwiches or other dishes.
Once cooled, these pretzel buns are ready to be used for your favorite sandwich or burger. They add a unique flavor and texture to any meal, and you can also experiment with different toppings and seasonings to customize them to your liking. Enjoy your homemade pretzel buns!
Original Bread recipes