Duck Pepper Masala
Duck Pepper Masala is a flavorful and spicy Indian dish made with duck meat and a blend of spices, including black pepper.
How to cook Duck Pepper Masala:
Duck Pepper Masala is a flavorful and spicy Indian dish made with duck meat and a blend of spices, including black pepper. It is a popular dish in the southern Indian state of Kerala, where duck meat is commonly consumed.
Here's a simple recipe to prepare Duck Pepper Masala:
- 1 kg duck meat, cut into medium-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon black pepper powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil in a large pan or a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the chopped onions and green chilies. Sauté until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn soft and mushy.
- Now, add the duck meat pieces to the pan and mix well with the onion-tomato mixture.
- Add black pepper powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix everything together to coat the meat with the spices.
- If using a pressure cooker, add a little water (about 1/4 cup) and pressure cook for about 15-20 minutes until the duck is cooked and tender. If using a regular pan, cover it with a lid and cook on low heat until the duck is cooked through (this may take around 45 minutes to 1 hour), stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.
- Once the duck is cooked, remove the lid and cook on high heat for a few minutes to thicken the gravy and allow the flavors to meld together.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed rice, roti (Indian bread), or appam (rice pancakes).
Note: Adjust the spice levels according to your preference. You can also add other spices or ingredients like curry leaves, fennel seeds, or coconut milk to enhance the flavor of the dish.
Enjoy your delicious Duck Pepper Masala!