Sichuan Spicy Beef Pancakes
Sichuan Spicy Beef Pancakes, also known as Dan Bing in Chinese, are a popular street food in Sichuan province, China.
How to cook Sichuan Spicy Beef Pancakes:
Sichuan Spicy Beef Pancakes, also known as "Dan Bing" in Chinese, are a popular street food in Sichuan province, China. They consist of flavorful marinated beef wrapped in a thin pancake along with various condiments. Here's a recipe to make Sichuan Spicy Beef Pancakes at home:
For the pancakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- Vegetable oil for cooking
For the spicy beef filling:
- 1 pound beef (flank steak or sirloin), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chili paste (adjust to your preferred level of spiciness)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
For the condiments:
- Hoisin sauce
- Sriracha sauce
- Cucumber, julienned
- Carrots, julienned
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and water. Stir until a smooth batter forms. Let the batter rest for 20-30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, marinate the thinly sliced beef with soy sauce, hoisin sauce, crushed Sichuan peppercorns, chili paste, and minced garlic. Allow the beef to marinate for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or crepe pan over medium heat. Brush the surface with a little vegetable oil.
- Pour a ladleful of the pancake batter onto the skillet and quickly swirl it around to form a thin pancake. Cook for about 1-2 minutes until the edges start to lift and the bottom is lightly browned. Flip the pancake and cook for another minute. Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
- As you cook the pancakes, stack them on a plate and cover with a clean kitchen towel to keep them warm and soft.
- In a separate skillet or wok, heat vegetable oil and sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the marinated beef and stir-fry for about 4-5 minutes until cooked through.
- Stir in the chopped green onions and continue cooking for another minute. Remove from heat.
- To assemble the pancakes, spread a thin layer of hoisin sauce and sriracha sauce on each pancake.
- Place a portion of the cooked beef filling onto the center of the pancake. Top with julienned cucumber, carrots, and fresh cilantro leaves.
- Fold the sides of the pancake over the filling to form a roll or envelope shape.
- Repeat the process with the remaining pancakes and filling.
- Serve the Sichuan Spicy Beef Pancakes warm and enjoy as a delicious and flavorful street food-inspired snack or meal.
Sichuan Spicy Beef Pancakes offer a wonderful combination of textures and flavors with the tender beef, spicy kick, and fresh condiments. They are perfect for a casual gathering or a tasty snack. Enjoy the delightful taste of Sichuan cuisine with these delicious pancakes!