For pumpkin puree:
- 1kg of pumpkin
For caramelized onions:
- Olive oil
- 3 red onions
- 60g (1/4 cup) of red wine vinegar
- 50g (1/4 cup) of light brown sugar
- 60g (1/4 cup) of butter
- 60g (1/2 cup) of flour
- 700ml (2 3/4 cups) of milk
- 150g (1 3/4 cups) of parmesan
- Lasagna sheets
- 40g (1/4 cup) of butter
- Sage leaves
1. Peel and cut the pumpkin on slices and transfer to the baking tray covered with parchment paper. Bake in oven at 180°C/360°F for 25 minutes. Transfer to the bowl and smash the pumpkin to obtain puree.
2. Cut the onion into the rings and transfer to the pan with oil. Season with salt and add the red wine vinegar and light brown sugar. Cook until caramelize.
3. In a saucepan add the butter and flour and mix until combine. Add the milk and parmesan and mix until bechamel is nice and creamy. Season with salt and nutmeg and mix. Remove from the heat.
4. Start assembling the lassagna placing the bechamel on the bottom of the baking dish. Layer lasagna sheets to fill the dish, cutting and overlapping the pieces as needed. Spread the pumpkin puree and add the caramelized onions and then add another thin layer of cheese sauce and spread it out on top. Repeat the process to fill the baking dish.
5. Sprinkle with parmesan and transfer to the oven. Bake at 180°C/360°F for 50 minutes.
6. In a saucepan add the butter and sage leaves and fry them for a few minutes. Remove from the heat.
7. After the lasagna is ready arrange the sage leaves on top and serve.