How to cook Taco Casserole:
• 1 ½ pounds ground beef
• 1 (7 ounce) can green chiles, diced
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 2 tablespoons butter, salted
• 1 tablespoon cumin powder
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 12 corn tortillas, cut in half
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 cups salsa, divided
• 1 can corn, drained
• 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
Garnish, all optional:
• 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
• 1 cup sour cream
• 2 limes, wedges
• 1 cup lettuce, chopped
• 1 avocado, slices
• 1 cup tomatoes, chopped or sliced
• 1 jalapeno, minced
• 1 bunch green onions, sliced
• 1 cup black olives, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook onion in the butter until the onion softens and starts to brown a bit, about 3-5 minutes. Add in beef, green chiles, cumin, salt, chili and garlic powder and cook beef until it browns making sure to stir and break beef up while it cooks, about 6-8 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, brown the corn tortilla halves in a very small amount of oil in a pan over medium heat. Flip after about 1 minute and get both sides of tortilla golden in color.
- Line the bottom of a 9x13 dish with 8 of the tortilla halves. Not to worry if they overlap. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. On top of cheese, spoon half of the ground beef mixture.
- On top of the ground beef mixture, layer the black beans across. Then spoon 1 cup of salsa across the beans. On top of the salsa, layer 6-8 more browned tortilla halves.
- Layer the remaining ground beef across the tortillas, spoon the corn on top of the ground beef and then top that with the remaining cup of salsa. Top the casserole with 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and cheese is browning, about 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish as desired