Sunflower cottage cheese cake
How to cook Sunflower cottage cheese cake:
For the dough:
- 200ml ( ¾ cup + 1 tbsp) warm milk
- pinch of salt
- 70g (1/3 cup) sugar
- 7g (2 tsp) dry yeast
- 70g (1/3 cup) melted butter
- 1 egg
- 500g (3 cups) flour
- vegetable oil (for greasing the dough)
For the filling:
- 350(1 tbsp) cornstarch
- For the topping:
- 15g (1 tbsp) sugar
- 20g (2 tbsp) flour
- 10g (2 tsp) softened butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large bowl whisk warm milk, salt, sugar, and dry yeast. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add egg and melted butter, and whisk until homogeneous.
- Add flour and start to mix the ingredients with a spatula, then continue to knead the dough with your hands until you receive an elastic dough.
- Form a ball and put it into a bowl, grease with some oil, cover with plastic wrap or kitchen cloth and let rise for 1,5-2 hours.
- Transfer the dough onto a working surface and flatten it into a circle shape, approximately 30cm in diameter.
- Make 2-3cm cuts all over the circle edge. Using scissors, make a horizontal cut on the upper part of each section.
- Press the 'tails” of the bottom dough layer together to create petals and shape the upper dough layer a bit.
- Press the center of the flower with your hands to create a base for the cheese.
- Cover the sunflower with plastic wrap or kitchen cloth and let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use an immersion blender to combine all ingredients for the filling.
- In a small bowl crumble flour, sugar, and softened butter with a fork. Set aside.
- Press the center of the flower again and poke it with the fork.
- Brush the petals of the sunflower with the beaten egg and arrange the cheese mixture in the center.
- Sprinkle crumbs on top of the cheese layer.
- Bake at 170°C/340°F for 30 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy.