Mochi Ice Cream
How to cook Mochi Ice Cream:
Learn how to make Japanese mochi ice cream at home. Mochi ice cream seems like complicated recipe to make at home, but with this easy step by step recipe will make the best mochi. Mochi ice cream is a popular Japanese dessert, it is soft and chewy on the outside, and after this chewy bite you will get to cold and delicious ice cream. This recipe is a fun project to make with kids.
- 1 cup (160g) Glutinous rice flour (sweet rice flour)
- 1/4 cup (50)g Sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) Water
- 1/2 cup Cornstrach/Potato starch for dusting
- Ice cream of your choice
1. Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop out about 12 scoops of ice cream (about 15-20 grams each) onto baking tray lined with parchment paper or muffin tin lined with plastic wrap. Freeze while making the mochi.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, mix rice flour and sugar. Add water and stir until smooth. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 1 minute. Stir the mixture using a wet spatula, then microwave for another minute. Take the bowl out of the microwave, stir with a wet spatula and microwave for another 30 seconds.
3. Dust your working surface with the starch, using a wet spatula, scrape the dough onto the cornstarch and dust the top of the dough with more starch.
4. Roll the dough into 1/4-inch (1/2 cm) thick. place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
5. Take the dough out of the fridge and cut 3.5-inch (8-9 cm) circles. Make sure your circles are big enough to pinch the dough around the ice cream.
6. Take one circle of dough and brush off the excess starch from both sides. Lay the circle on a piece of plastic warp, place one ball of ice cream in the middle, pinch the mochi around the ice cream, then use the plastic warp the shape a ball as shown in the video.
7. Freeze mochi ice cream for at least 2 hours.
8. When ready to serve, keep them outside for a few minutes.