Beer Braised Bratwurst and Onions
How to cook Beer Braised Bratwurst and Onions:
- 5 Bratwurst sausages
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil divided
- 2 large onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 5 buns
- 1/2 cup stone-ground mustard to top bratwurst
- In a heavy bottom skillet, heat cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add in bratwurst and cook until outside of brats are browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add in remaining cooking oil and onion slices. Season with salt and pepper and let cook for about 7-8 minutes, until onions have softened and turned more golden.
- Add in minced garlic and let sauté for another minute.
- Pour in about 12 ounces of beer. Add in bratwurst and let the mixture come to a simmer. Drop the heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 8-10 more minutes, until the onion mixture thickens up a bit and the brats are cooked through.
- Serve on a toasted bun with stone-ground mustard.